Got a Question? Ask Us!
Q. Overdrive won't open after update installed. 'The app was unable to start up successfully' is the message. on iPad 2 iOS 9.2.1
Thanks for contacting us. I've called Overdrive support as we recently had a spate of querires about not being able to download or access the app.
Overdrive informs me that they did recently update the app for IOS and that sometimes some patrons are encountering errors when trying to download or access the app.
Here are their support suggestions for fixing the problem until they fix the update issue. They tell me it works about 95% of the time for patrons who are experiencing issues with the IOS update.
Uninstall then reinstall the OverDrive app.
Note: If you're using a 1st generation iPhone or iPod touch, please back up the OverDrive app to iTunes before uninstalling. The OverDrive app is no longer available for your device from the App Store.
Uninstalling the app will clear your bookshelf, history, and app settings. You can save the list of titles in your history by going to Home Menu > History > Edit. Tap Select All, then Share. From there, you can email the list wherever you like.
- Tap and hold the OverDrive icon until it begins to shake.
- Tap the "X" on the icon.
- Tap Delete to remove the app.
- Tap the Home button to return to your home screen.
- Install the OverDrive app from the App Store.
- Sign into the app and see if your issue is resolved.
Overdrive is actively working on an update, but this should help patrons until that time.
We apologize for any confusion or frustration this issue has caused.
- Thank you, thank you! All of a sudden, my Overdrive didn't work, and I wasn't sure how to fix it. Yours was the only solution offered in a Google search of my problem, and it worked like a charm.