Please do NOT return any of your library materials.
Got a Question? Ask Us!
Q. I am trying to locate a book that was recommended to me. However I do not recall the name. It supposed to be a really goo book, written in Africa
I thank you for taking the time to answer my question and to help me. Oh! I am looking to see if you might have an electronic copy? Thank you again, good day.
Hi Maria, Thanks for your question. Do you think this could be "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" by Alexander Mccall-Smith? It is a very popular and well-written series. That first book was published in 1998 but really gained popularity about 7 or 8 years ago. Here is a summary:
This first novel in Alexander McCall Smith's widely acclaimed The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series tells the story of the delightfully cunning and enormously engaging Precious Ramotswe, who is drawn to her profession to "help people with problems in their lives." Immediately upon setting up shop in a small storefront in Gaborone, she is hired to track down a missing husband, uncover a con man, and follow a wayward daughter. But the case that tugs at her heart, and lands her in danger, is a missing eleven-year-old boy, who may have been snatched by witchdoctors. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency received two Booker Judges' Special Recommendations and was voted one of the International Books of the Year and the Millennium by the "Times Literary Supplement."
Here are the other books in the series in order:
- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1998)
- Tears of the Giraffe (2000)
- Morality for Beautiful Girls (2001)
- The Kalahari Typing School for Men (2002)
- The Full Cupboard of Life (2004)
- In The Company of Cheerful Ladies (2004 – also known as The Night-Time Dancer)
- Blue Shoes and Happiness (2006)
- The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (2007)
- The Miracle at Speedy Motors (2008)
- Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (2009)
- The Double Comfort Safari Club (2010)
- The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party (2011)
- The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection (2012)
Hope that helps!
Reader Services Specialist
Boulder Public Library